Saturday, January 12, 2013

knitting - an old flame

i learnt to knit at my Oma's house when i was eight. i don't remember who taught me, whether it was Mum or Oma, but i do recall the joy of seeing rows of bubbly garter stitch emerge from my needles, the thrill of how simple it was to change colours on a new row and the comfort of being tucked up in Opa's special chair with my knitting, completely immune to the usual hubbub around me. knitting has continued to be my friend allover the place; there are photos of me doing my homework with my knitting right next to me on the table and when i moved to another state i took paid commissions and knew the pain of knitting for profit!



blue cardi lace pattern


i've never been a seasonal knitter, i will continue through humidity, heatwaves and beach sand. the only concession i make is the thickness of the wool. yes, wool, it's my favourite fibre and one i go back to again and again, after the occasional dabble with cotton or silk. it has something to do with that nostalgic idea of an English childhood gleaned from Enid Blyton, swaddled in worsted woolens from babyhood. even today i love vintage knitting and have collected numerous old knitting patterns. for years i've looked at these treasures but never dared to start, after all what is "fingering weight" or how would i ever finish a jumper knitted on size 3mm needles?



blue cardi finished!


well, i've been given these answers plus much more, with the arrival of my Christmas gift from Old Blighty, it's that famed volume A Stitch in Time, Vol 2, simply stuffed with updated vintage knitting patterns. i have to admit a tiny cheat on my resolution to not add to my yarn stash, after all i don't have much fine wool and i just had to start on one of the projects straight away! i'm making the Jan Sweater, a lovely short sleeved jumper with a chevron eyelet pattern in 4ply wool, very popular on Ravelry where you can get more details about the book.



vintage lace jumper


i've finally sewn the buttons on my blue cardigan, and blocked it, so i can call that one finished now. it turned out to be the perfect size and i really love the yarn, it's silky and slinky which is perfect for the weather at the moment (fifty shades of grey). i need to sew some nice things to go with it, but it's nigh impossible to tear myself away from the needles, after all everyone knows an old flame is the best one, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment